Internationally renowned DJ, producer and club entrepreneur Yousef once again visited OBA to present some of our Business and Music Technology students with awards for outstanding achievement. The Liverpudlian runs the successful ‘Circus’ club night and record label, providing OBA with the opportunity to create these ‘Circus’ awards. OBA employs its own DJ who runs enrichment sessions with students and many of our music students compose their own tracks via sequencing software. In addition, we are very excited to have one of Circus Recordings’ artists, local girl Laura Mc Kenna (artist name, The Angel), working with music students at the Academy on a part-time basis. She has featured on a number of club hits, including Yousef’s own ‘Float Away’.
Parents and family members joined students for the award ceremony, which saw Yousef present each winner with a certificate, iTunes voucher and specially printed ‘Circus Recordings’ t-shirt. He also encouraged the families to support their youngsters in their pursuit of excellence in these globally popular industries.
Here is the full list of award winners:
- Callum Brown / Liam Murphy – OBA In The Mix Champions (best mix from the year’s ‘in the mix’ events)
- Ethan Emery/Rhys Maguire – KS3 Rising DJ stars (student showing the most promise and aptitude in KS3)
- Billie Jo Barton – KS4 Rising DJ star (student showing the most promise and aptitude in KS4)
- Joe Garbutt – Outstanding Contribution to Music Tech (the one student who encompasses the musician in Music Technician)
- Emma Bygraves – Excellent Financial Planning for a Music Festival
- Hannah Hewitt – Outstanding Business Planning
- Chloe McClennon- Excellent Entrepreneurial Thinking
- Megan Gibbons – Excellent Research Conducted in Event Planning
- Katie Filkins – Excellent interpretation and analysis of research conducted