This has run each weekend since October last year. It is staffed by a variety of colleagues including SLT and offers a wide variety of enrichment and extension type learning opportunities, some of these are listed below. The provision has become very popular with students, staff and parents all looking forward to supporting the wide range of activities available. Each week staff plan new and exciting Saturday opportunities for the students, the atmosphere on the days is ‘buzzing and vibrant’ with those attending often commenting on how it appears like a normal week day with so much going on.
- Sports Studies catch-up and extension sessions
- Business Studies and Science study support
- Technology enrichment and study support
- Maths extension and GCSE targeting activities
- English enrichment and GCSE targeting
- Y9 options taster sessions e.g. the new three week hairdressing taster course
- Wizard of Oz rehearsals
- Off-site provision with external providers e.g the weekend Menai trip to boost grades in KS5 subject (this has happened twice).
- Saturday detentions
- The ‘Around the World’ project which involves Year 6, 7 and 8 pupils and has been giving them the opportunity to experience a range of different cultures. This Saturday involved a trip to the European markets in Manchester, culminating in a ride on the big wheel.
- Trips to local cultural destinations e.g the German Christmas Markets, trip to London planned.
- Year 6 Gifted and Talented Master Classes in Maths and English.
- Soon to launch the Ormiston Bolingbroke’s Academy of Performing Arts ‘Spotlight’ will be launched on the third Saturday following the Spring Break. This will involve classes in singing, dancing and acting for boys and girls aged 5+, and will culminate in a public performance at the end of June.
Around the World
Around The World On a Saturday is an innovative and unique project that takes place here at school on a Saturday Morning.
Each week between 9.00am and 1.00pm pupils from Year Six (local primary schools) Year 7 and Year 8 (OBA) come together to take part in a range of exciting multi-cultural activities.
During Italy week pupils made Pizza’s and experienced a variety of traditional Italian foods, during France week, pupils had an interactive French lesson and then ordered their breakfast items (in French!) from a ‘French Café’ in the school canteen. On German week pupils visited the German and European Christmas markets in Manchester (and rode the big wheel!) on Japan week they excelled in a Taiko West drumming session, on America week they got competitive playing American football and on China week they got creative making Chinese lanterns and communicated using basic Chinese words and symbols!
The next phase of the project is set to be even more exciting with an upcoming trip to a Japanese Teppan-Yaki restaurant in Chester, a visit to the international Slavery museum in Liverpool, an Egyptian adventure and a Brazilian carnival planned right here in Runcorn!
Each week pupils spend some time using the computers in school to research the country in focus and have the opportunity to test their taste buds by eating a breakfast or lunch traditional to that country.
The project is funded by OBA and offers the pupils involved a great opportunity to try new things, develop new skills, make new friends, build confidence…. and above all have FUN!
In addition to the above, for any pupils thinking of coming to the academy the following year it is a great way to get to know the school make the transition to high school a lot smoother!